I was asked by one of my readers to write about how they can lose weight when they have a 10 hour job where they sit most of the time.
There are 2 main, important areas you have to look at
- Physical activity
Basically to lose weight you have to use more energy than you take it. There is much more to that, it’s not that simple, but for most people who don’t have any health complications, this works to begin with. Let’s keep it simple shall we? So use more energy than you take it, or burn more calories than you eat.
Ok, but you are working in the corporate sector, sit 90% of the time at your desk and in meetings, the only time you move around is to go to the printer across the room and to the meeting rooms. So how can you possibly do any physical activity when you are trapped between 4 walls?
Don’t panic, the answer is: incorporate movement in your work! and burn calories. I’ll tell you how:
1. Get off the tube or bus 1-2, even 3, stops earlier and walk
2. Park your car far from your office so you walk more
3. Always take the stairs, especially when you are in a rush. You know why.4
4. Go for a walk in your lunch break. If you have showers at the office, go for a run. If you have a gym in the building go for a workout. This can be 10 min, 15, 30 min. It doesn’t matter, move more.
5. Stand when you talk to your colleagues, sometimes with you type at your computer, when you read papers, drink your tea/coffee or water
Try these over the next week and let me know how it goes.
Weight loss is 85% diet. However, a diet is not something you go on, a diet is a series of habits you change and improve. So let’s begin shall we?
1. Water. Your brain, internal organs, you whole body is make of water. Together with food it is the fuel for your body. Around 80%, some say more up to 90%. Regardless of the percentage it’s undeniable that you are made of water. If you want to function at your peak performance and lose weight drink pure water, not water with strawberry taste, not coffee or tea. Pure water, the element you and this Earth are made of. Drink about 8 glasses of water daily. more if you are very active. You will know, you will need it
2. Snacks. The amount of time we are active vs sedentary, does NOT justify the amount of calories we put into our bodies. While, in general, I’d say have snacks, if you are sedentary 8-10 hours a day, cut down on them until you eliminate them out of your diet. If you are used to snacking this may take a while. DO NOT jump off snacking all of a sudden. It may work for some people, but other can relapse. You must see what works for you.
3. Cooked food. Have meals for lunch. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar. Lunch must be a meal. Why? Because you need more energy for the day than you need after you have dinner. Give you body food.
4. Unprocessed. Eat food that is as close to their natural state as possible. Processed food, that has be tampered with by humans, is not good. Cook your food home. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
5. Fat Free? There are 2 main ingredients that makes something taste very good and addictive: fats and sugars. If it’s less of one, it’s more of the other. No more fat free stuff. You will also feel more satisfied, faster and for longer, thus eating less in the process, and losing weight.
What I gave you here might not do miracles, but implementing some, if not all, over the next 4-6 weeks will place you on the right track to being healthier and losing weight.
I can give you lots more ideas, but start with these. What’s the point in giving you 20 ideas and action none. Take one step at a time, your mind is busy enough.
Do you need more personalised advice? Contact me to book a free, no obligation consultation and I will help you set up.